Learning to read is one of the most exciting childhood milestones and I’ve loved watching my children get excited as reading has “clicked” for them. My 7 year old has been reading for a while not but he’s just getting to the point where he really gets it and he looks for any opportunity to read. One of the things that has really helped him get excited about reading was Reading Eggs, so I was more than excited when they offered to sponsor this post so I could share our experience.
As a former teacher and now a homeschooling mom of 6, I’ve tried just about every method, trick, and program out there to teach kids to read. The one we’ve kept coming back to over the last few years is Reading Eggs. My kids have loved it and I’ve seen their reading improve dramatically while they’ve been using the program.
I LOVE the placement test that kids can take at the beginning of the program. It saves you from having to guess where your child is at or from your child having to shuffle through a lot of busy work trying to find the right level because that’s the fastest way I know to get a child’s excitement to fizzle out.
My 7 year old used Reading Eggs all of his Kindergarten year. When he first took the test last year it started him near the beginning of the program. I had him take the test again to see where he was at now and he placed on map 11 out of 12. I love seeing such clear progress and the skills he have learned using the program have been spilling into all of the other areas of his life too. Our time in the car is now occupied by reading street signs for fun and trips to the library are an exciting opportunity to discover new things since there are now so many books he can read on his own.
My 7 year old is extremely active so sitting still to do anything drives him crazy. He loves the interactive nature of Reading Eggs and the variety of activities really holds his attention. He begs to use Reading Eggs. It’s the one part of our homeschool day that isn’t a fight.
Reading Eggs includes some great features that make it really appealing to kids. These include:
- Reading Lessons: 120 reading lessons that travel through 12 exciting maps. These are all HIGHLY visual and my kids have loved that.
- My House: Your child can change the appearance of their avatar, play arcade games, read Story Factory stories they have written, and view their awards and critters.
- Skills Bank: The Skills Bank includes 96 carefully graded spelling lessons to develop your child’s spelling skills in a progressive sequence.
- Driving Test Centre: This section consists of 45 tests covering sight words, phonics skills, and content-area vocabulary.
- Puzzle Park: Your child can complete 32 word puzzles that develop a range of reading skills.
- Storylands: Storylands contains 20 lessons, 140 activities, 20 wonderful books and heaps of rewards!
- The Playroom: Includes over 170 activities and books.
There is just so much to this program that my kids always find something new to do.
Try Reading Eggs for FREE
Think Reading Eggs sounds super cool! Right now you can try it for 4 weeks for FREE! This is a great chance to see how it works for your child and test out how quickly your child can progress with his reading skills.
We started with a trial a few years ago and have loved it so much that we’ve used it ever since. This offer ends on February 28, 2015 so be sure and snag it while you can.