This post was sponsored by Window Covering Safety Council as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central and all opinions expressed in my post are my own.
June is National Safety Month and it is a great reminder to take a second look at the things in our home to be sure they are as safe as possible. After a scary experience with my toddler who was found unconscious in a hot tub, we’ve realized just how quickly accidents can happen and we want to make every effort to prevent them at home. Having safety features in place in your home, such as cordless window blinds, helps keep your children safer.
Accidents happen to everyone but some accidents can be life-changing. We all want to think that our kids are as safe as possible at home, but the truth is, many accidents happen at home.
Five years ago, our life was turned upside down when my daughter was found unconscious in a hot tub. We were very lucky that she survived and has no lasting effects, but it was eye-opening to realize just how quickly an accident can happen.
Since then, we’ve increased our efforts to be sure our home is as safe as it can be. It is a scary experience, as a parent, to see your child hurt and know that you could have done something about it. That is a feeling that I never want to feel again.
Household accidents happen all the time so it is important to check for hazards and keep your home as safe as possible.
There are a few key things you should check to be sure that your home is as safe as possible:
- Check window coverings for exposed or dangling cords. Window cords can be a strangulation hazard to infants and young children. We had a death locally caused by window cords a few years ago and it made me realize just how important this is. You can install cordless window coverings or make the cords inaccessible to young children. To make it easier to shop, look for cordless options that are identified with the Best for Kids™ certification label (available at major retailers across the country). A new safety standard passed in December 2018 that requires corded window coverings to be special-ordered so cordless blinds are now the easiest option to purchase. This is a huge step in child safety. Learn more about the importance of cordless window cords here.
- Anchor heavy furniture to the wall. This is a safety measure that I often see overlooked. Heavy furniture is a tipping hazard and can pin young children in the event of a fall. This is especially true of dressers because kids have a tendency to pull multiple drawers out at the same time and cause the dresser to be off balance. A simple furniture anchor can prevent accidents and keep your home safer.
- Check your home for recalled products. Recalled products can be a hazard to your children. We’ve had several toys that we have purchased over the years be recalled and I was glad that I knew so I could remove them from our home. Visit cpsc.gov to see if anything in your home has been recalled.
- Look out for strong magnets. Strong magnets can do serious damage to a child’s intestines and should be kept out of reach. Many toys contain magnets. Check them often to be sure they are not cracked or loosened in a way that would allow the magnet out.
- Be aware of pool and spa drains. Pool and spa drains have the capability of trapping a child underwater. Replace broken drain covers immediately. Children should always be watched while near water and pool covers should be used anytime the pool is not in use. After our experience, I know how quickly things can go wrong when you mix kids and water. We had 6 adults watching my toddler and she was the only non-swimmer. It is scary how quickly an accident can really happen.
Everyone has more fun when they are being safe. I make a point to do a walkthrough of my home