I ordered a large box of organic natural treats for the kids, like I said I would, and they have arrived!! We are in the process of taste testing them and so far so good. As I went from package to package and was reading the labels, ingredients and doing some comparisons with food I had in the cupboard I noticed some differences when it came to organic certification and the word “organic” and where it was placed. I have noticed this before and wondered, which means if I’ve raised an eyebrow, I’m sure you have to!
Let me break it down for you and if you want further information or you just don’t get it you can follow the links for more information. Mind you, this is just for the USDA organic seal of approval. To tote the USDA seal farmers have to produce organic food using particular approved methods that help the environment and they cannot use pesticides, hormones or synthetic fertilizers. When the food leaves the farm the process continues for the certification and the companies that process, touch, handle or manufacture the food must also follow the organic standards and rules. Does the USDA check this entire process and make sure the steps are followed? That’s a completely different post but I sure hope so.
The seal actually has four tiers or levels and I’ve rated them from Best to Okay:
BEST: 100% organic with the USDA seal means that all the ingredients and methods to get that food to the store are organic but the restaurant, store or market sells the produce does not need to follow the government rules for the food to be organic.
BETTER: Organic with the USDA seal means that at least 95% of the ingredients are organic. The other 5% can be whatever and this isn’t so good but better than nothing.
GOOD: Made with Organic (we’ve all seen these words) means that 70% of the ingredients are organic. Again, better than nothing but no seal of approval so the methods for growing, processing and making the food can be questionable.
Okay: No seal and no organic labeling on the front of the box means that less than 70% of the ingredients are organic but organic wording may appear on the sides of the box or product. Deceiving!
Marketing screws everything up with this word “organic” because the company can be approved organic and is allowed to use the word in its name or they can say made with organic flour, etc. It makes me go cross eyed but my Green and Clean mom advice is this:
1) Try to buy products with the seal because at least you know that 95% or more of the ingredients are organic.
2) It’s always best to try and buy local, if possible even if the food isn’t organic. It will be fresh and won’t have had to travel so far. Most local farmers can tell you what methods they use. If you can talk to the farmer and look him in the eye, it’s a good thing.
3) Try to choose organic foods that are from the list the “dirty dozen”. These are the foods that have the most amounts of pesticides on them and pose the biggest health threat.
4) Use your common sense and follow your gut.