Back in the “good ol’ days”, fitness and exercise was not something people “scheduled” into their daily routines. The simple fact was daily life was usually enough to keep a person physically fit. Back when you had to plow the fields and manage the crops instead of run to the store to have a salad. Back when you had to care for the horse instead of run through the gas station and carwash to get around. Back when you had to walk the three miles to get to the general store to get your penny candy that incidentally was a month’s allowance saved up. Back when you had to go outside and play hopscotch or kick the can to entertain yourselves. Nowadays, people can goe days without really having to lift a finger to survive. Entertainment can be found on the tube or computer and food is all in the fridge.
How to Be Sneaky
So am I asking for you all to give up all the modern day amenities? Not at all. I am merely suggesting that you find ways to make you and your children’s daily routines more physically taxing.
- If you live within walking distance of school and it’s a nice enough day, walk your kids to and from school. You can also take this oppurtunity to teach your kids about green living.
- Start a veggie or flower garden in your yard. Gardening is wonderful exercise and you can actually eat the fruits of your labor.
- Wash your vehicles by hand – this can actually be pretty fun if you let your kids spray each other a little bit with the hose.
- Instead of all gathering around the television to watch your favorite television program, go for a family bike ride.
- In the warmer months set up some sort of sporting equipment in your backyard – volleyball or badminton net, a basketball hoop, a trampoline or swimming pool (always remember to include the necessary safety features)
- If you are intent on video gaming, try to find games that require some sort of physical activity – there are several games for the Wii that do require movement, however a word to the wise, make them actually do it. Many kids have figured out how to manipulate these games by moving the remote just right and with minimal effort to mimic the motions the game is looking for.
- Establish a Family Fitness Night, in which each week one family member picks an activity that makes the whole family get up and move. Here are some interesting ideas: The batting cages, roller skating, bowling, swimming, or Frisbee golf.
Whatever it is you decide to do, seriously consider all of the ways you can sneak physical activity back into you and your family’s daily activities.
So what activites do you do to keep your family in shape?