This homemade teriyaki sauce recipe is a sponsored collaboration with Mizkan and the Forward Influence Network. However, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
If making homemade sushi feels intimidating, you definitely aren’t alone. I never even would have considered it before a sweet friend from Japan introduced me to Temaki Sushi, hand-rolled sushi that is perfect for a weeknight dinner, serving a crowd, or just when you need a kid-friendly sushi option. Mizkan Vinegars and Sauces take this dish to a new level and really elevate our weeknight meals.
I love sushi but our options for it locally are a bit limited. My favorite way to enjoy my favorite take-out foods is usually to make them myself at home but the idea of making homemade sushi intimidated me.
I honestly never would have considered attempting to make homemade sushi but my neighbor, who is from Japan, introduced me to Temaki sushi — hand-rolled sushi that is easy to make for a weeknight meal.
Temaki sushi takes some of the technical parts of sushi-making away by allowing each person at the dinner table to top their nori with whatever sushi toppings they want. Instead of rolling it, each person simply folds over their own Temaki sushi, like a sushi burrito.
This is such an easy option and I love it as a family meal because everyone can include exactly what they want, which drastically cuts down on the dinner complaints from my kids.
Anytime we make a Japanese dish, we love to use Mizkan vinegars and sauces. They add such amazing flavor to every dish we’ve used the in and they take pride in being the #1 Rice Vinegar Brand in Japan*.
*INTAGE SRI. Rice Vinegar Accumulated Sale Revenue 2014 – 2018.
I love the flavor of rice vinegar so I’m always looking for opportunities to add Mizkan Natural Rice Vinegar to dishes, especially since it has zero fat and no calories. We use it to make sushi rice in this meal (see recipe below) and I LOVE the Mizkan Mirin sauce in marinades.
Mizkan really helps me bring authentic Japanese flavors into my kitchen and make dinner so much more enjoyable.
- 5 cups of sushi rice (see recipe below)
- 1 pound of salmon
- 1/3 cup Mizkan Mirin sauce
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 T sesame oil
- Sweet eggs (see recipe below)
- Toppings: cucumbers, avocado, cream cheese, carrots, tuna (combined with a small amount of mayo), shrimp, etc.
- Nori (8 inch sheets)
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 2 T sriracha
- Prepare your sushi rice (see recipe below).
- Combine the Mizkan Mirin sauce, soy sauce, and sesame oil.
- Pour over salmon and marinate for 2 hours.
- Once marinated, grill your salmon.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayo and sriracha to make the spicy mayo. Set aside.
- Break your nori sheets into quarters and separate toppings into separate dishes to make it easy for everyone to assemble their own sushi.
- Place a small amount of sushi rice on your nori square, top with your preferred toppings, then fold over like a small burrito.
- 5 cups of short-grain rice
- 7 T Mizkan Natural rice vinegar
- 7 T sugar
- 1 1/3 T salt
- Combine the rice vinegar, sugar, and salt.
- While the rice is still hot, add the vinegar mixture.
- Gently fold together until it is well mixed.
- Dash of soy sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 T sugar
- Optional: Hondashi (can be found online)
- Mix all of the ingredients together.
- In a (preferably) square frying pan pour a small amount of egg mixture.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes then fold the eggs over in the pan and add more of the egg mixture.
- Continue until all of the egg mixture has been added and the eggs are cooked through.
- Set aside to cool.
- Once cooled, slice into matchstick slices and set aside for sushi toppings.
My family loves this easy and delicious weeknight meal. This meal is perfect when we want a taste of Japan and Mizkan Vinegars and sauces give us that authentic flavor we are looking for.
Go to http://bit.ly/WhereToBuy_Mizkan to find where to buy any of Mizkan vinegars and sauces.