This dessert is a marriage of two of my favorite classics: Rice Krispy treats and campfire s’mores. Although I live within a ten minute drive of campfire sites up a gorgeous mountain canyon, with a one year old that is in bed by eight I can’t always get the real deal. Let me tell you though, this recipe will still give you the same campfire taste and satisfy your craving. They are crunchy, gooey, chocolatey, melty goodness AND so so easy. I shared these at a neighborhood barbecue and they were a huge hit with the kids too.
*I have one VERY important suggestion for making these. You must use top notch chocolate chips! I am strictly loyal to the Guittard brand (Guittard milk chocolate chips to be specific) if you can find them. If you can’t, Ghiradelli is also acceptable.
- ¾ C butter
- 4 C rice krispies cereal
- 1.5 C milk chocolate chips (I used Guittard)
- 1 bag mini marshmallows
- 1 sleeve of crushed graham cracker (about 2 cups)
- In a large bowl crush graham crackers and pour in rice crispy treats and chocolate chips. Mix together and set aside.
- Brown the butter in a small saucepan. This should take 1-2 minutes.
- Line a cookie sheet with foil or parchment paper and spread out marshmallows. Broil the marshmallows until puffed and golden brown. It usually takes about a minute unless you are a fan of charred marshmallows. Watch these VERY carefully, they can get burnt very very fast and everyones oven is different.
- Pour browned butter into the cereal mixture and mix, then add in the marshmallows using a rubber spatula.
- Press the mixture into a 9X13 inch pan and let cool. Enjoy!