Sensory play can be so much fun for preschoolers. This Veggie Garden Sensory Bin is so easy to put together and it will entertain your preschoolers for hours. I love keeping a few sensory bin options on hand for a quick educational activity for preschoolers or just a boredom buster.
When my boys were little, I ran a home daycare. To date, it was one of my favorite jobs and it let me stay home with my kids while earning an income. It was super fun too because
I ALWAYS had a sensory activity set out for the kids because it was the perfect quiet-time or transition activity. Whenever we had a few minutes, the kids would wander over to the sensory table and play instead of getting wound up.
I’ve kept this going with my own kids on a smaller scale. Now we use smaller containers (with a lid like this one, because there are definitely times when you don’t want them getting into things).
My kids love to stay busy and sensory activities have the added bonus of being very calming.
- Plastic box with clip lid – We used this one
- One pound of dried black beans
- ½ cup of whole coffee beans
- Leaves from artificial flowers
- Assorted play food; tomatoes, lettuce, carrots, strawberries etc – We love this set from Amazon.
- Plastic serving tongs
- Sandbox tools
Sensory Bin Instructions
- Layer the dry black beans in the box
- Add coffee beans to the mix for a fragrant experience
- Nestle the leaves into the beans (I simply removed the leaves from a few stems of artificial flowers)
- Place the fruits and vegetables in the beans and on the leaves
- Add plastic serving tongs and plastic shovels
- Invite your child to harvest the veggies, to explore the beans and to work on fine motor skills by picking the veggies and beans up with the tools
You may also like these activities for kids
Latest posts by Rachel (see all)
- Wonderful Halos “Valentine’s Day Love Monsters” - February 14, 2019
- How to Support your Health This Winter - February 14, 2019
- Staying Alive After 65 – Tips to Live the Life you Want During Retirement - February 12, 2019